Hi Derek,

The slow speed for long paths like the one in your example was due to a
limitation to Quartz itself. This was solved by breaking the path up into
subpaths of up to 100 points. But you mentioned that releases before 1.2 were
not slow (and I verified this with matplotlib 1.1.1), suggesting that something
else is going on. Can you check which change between 1.1.1 and 1.2 is causing
the slowdown for your example?

Best,
-Michiel.