On Mon, 2010-05-24 at 11:59 +0200, ext Graham Cobb wrote:
> On Monday 24 May 2010 10:31:32 Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> > just to clarify; "GNOME Mobile" is not part of MeeGo really (although on
> > the netbook, we've borrowed some components for the UI implementation), and
> > nobody should depend on this being there for app development for MeeGo. Use
> > Qt for that.
>
> Of course, new apps should be built using Qt.
>
> I am fine with GTK+ not being part of the MeeGo platform but I think it
> unlikely it will not be available for apps which want it (ported by the
> community).  Personally, I plan to make the GPE apps available in case anyone
> wants them and will build GTK (and other libraries, although not necessarily
> Hildon) myself if necessary.  In fact, my interest tends to be mainly in
> porting existing apps (and libs) rather than development of new ones.
>
> What I will be really interested to find out is how usable a GTK app is with
> the handheld UX (without Hildon).

It will depend quite a lot on the window manager and Home screen (task
launcher probably uses .desktop files and there were some custom
key-value pairs in Fremantle). I don't expect lot of problems from the
window management side, except that Hildon stackable windows are
probably not fully supported, unless some compensating work (e.g. using
configure requests instead of relying on the WM) is done in libhildon.

-Kimmo