On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 04:22:42PM +0200, Dave Neary wrote:

> Let me ask the question this way (re. what Alberto wrote earlier):
> if I used Hildon on top of a stock upstream GTK+, what would be
> broken?
>
> If the answer is "not much", then as Arjen (almost) said: "Sounds
> perfect for the community repository".

Well, code-wise, not much. Hildon itself doesn't depend much on
features specific to Maemo-GTK (save for a few quirks already
mentioned by Javier Jardón).

In fact Debian has been distributing a version of Hildon from Maemo 5
for some time now (http://packages.debian.org/sid/libhildon-1-0). So
making an app that requires a recent Hildon compile and run against
upstream GTK+ is not terribly difficult.

The main problem is making those apps behave properly :) There are
some interactions such as stackable windows or menus that depend on
specific hildon-desktop features.

Also, some widgets are designed specifically for the N900, and while
they may work and have a reasonable API they should probably be
redesigned/modified to be more general.

Berto