Thanks, Pat Thoyts for your detailed analysis and description of the workaround you found.

Let me summarize as follows:

Metakit maps the file as
a read-only memory mapping and when it saves it re-serializes into the
underlying file. It then drops the current mapping and re-maps the
file. What I observed was that when it re-mapped it got the original
data and did not in fact re-map the newly written data at all.

In other words, Windows does not guarantee a consistent view of the data it buffers for networked file systems: write something to a file, map it to memory *afterwards*, and apparently you can get stale data.

If MK were to use r/w maps and push its data through there, then presumably it would work. That will not work in the case when the file has to be extended, though. Keep in mind that MK can write data to file for which partially comes from the r/o map. Furthermore, MK maps r/o deliberately, because it prevents stray pointer writes from damaging a MK datafile.

So what we have today, is a design which works on Windows local disks, and on Unix/MacOSX both locally and on remote file systems (both NFS and SMB afaik).

[From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>]
1/ You confirm that metakit files have a serious design flaw that puts at risk our data when accessed through a network.

With all due respect, the "serious design flaw" is in Windows. Getting that fixed is beyond our control. We can only hope that XP or Vista get it right.

2/ You give indications on the nature of the corruption, and how to prevent it.

Yes, and for that I am very grateful. In addition to Pat's most recent post, more information can be found at http://www.equi4.com/ pipermail/metakit/2005-August/002112.html

So the solution is to derive a c4_Strategy class which opens the file in exclusive mode. Pat has most generously handed everyone the solution on a silver platter. If you don't want to subclass c4_Strategy, then open the file yourself and pass it to MK. If you never need concurrent readers, use CreateFile and always open with dwAccessMode set to 0, then turn it into a FILE* with freopen and pass it to MK.

I for one never use MK in r/w mode on remote file systems. Not just due to the above risks, but because locking also leads to all sorts of "Heisenberg" trouble. In my book, shared data use should use client/server solutions. That need only take a few dozen lines of code, depending on your tool choices.

-jcw