On Fri, 17 Mar 2000, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

> I have an X-Surf in my trusty old 3000. Works fine, except for one thing: I
> wanted to make the 3000 the router, so I could offload the PPP/serial
> handling from the 1200 where I do more work. But that didn't work very
> well: the transfer speeds were very slow, much slower than on the 1200,
> while the 3000 could normally handle 115200 bps with the original
> serial.device over the built-in serial port. So I suspect the X-Surf
> SANA II driver locks up the CPU too long or does something else that
> interferes with the serial port. I also have a perfectly good A2232 lying
> around but that one disagrees with the CyberVision64/3D...

Well, 115.2K teeters on the edge of usability with the built-in serial
port, so it doesn't take much to push it over. :-) Of course if the driver
is doing something obscene like copying all the data under a Disable() it
should be shot.

> When I perform a traceroute I get 8 ms for the first hop, that's not all
> that good. (I get 5 ms on the 1200/50MHz060/ICard and less than 2 on PC's.)

Indeed that doesn't sound very good.  With my AriadneII and the MNI driver
I saw 4.6ms for the *very* first access to a not-terribly-fast Mac
(presumably due to ARP), and then 2.2ms thereafter.

                                        Fred Wright