On Sun, Feb 07, 2021 at 11:18:31AM +0100, Stefan Hagen wrote:
> Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> > Erling Westenvik:
> >> I can ssh FROM any OpenBSD box INTO iSH on my iPhone, and once
> >> authenticated I can ssh back from there to the OpenBSD box or to any
> >> other OpenBSD or Linux box, but! -- From iSH itself (ie. "directly" from
> >> my iPhone) I can only successfully ssh to Linux boxes; if I ssh from the
> >> phone itself to any OpenBSD box I'm getting authenticated and receive a
> >> full shell prompt
> >
> > Right here, I'd start ktrace(1)-ing the login shell on the OpenBSD
> > box to see...
> >
> >> but the moment I hit Enter the client drops the connection.
> >
> >... what this looks like at the OpenBSD end.
> >
> >> I guess there must be something obvious I'm missing but for the life
> >> of me I cannot figure out what. Any help is appreciated.
> >
> > I don't think it's anything obvious.  Smells like an interop problem
> > at a level above SSH to me.
>
> I tried iSH and I can successfully ssh to my OpenBSD-current box and do
> stuff there without a disconnect.
>
> Instead of going through ktracing the shell, you could set your login
> shell to /bin/sh for a test and try again. If this works, you know that
> your shell is causing the trouble.

Thank you Stefan. I tried your suggestion but to no avail. However, I
started elaborating on your assumption that it may be shell related and
when trying:

---
iPhone:~# ssh erling@12.34.56.78 ksh -i
ksh: No controlling tty (open /dev/tty: Device not configured)
ksh: Can't find tty file descriptor
ksh: Warning: won't have full job control
OpenBSD$ ls
OpenBSD$ █
---

the client didn't disconnect as soon as I entered my first command. Not
very useful though, since the missing controlling tty won't let me do
anything useful except running ls(1) and cat(1) and such.

This is still an OpenBSD spesific issue as far as it only happens when
trying to initiate a ssh from iSH into OpenBSD boxes (five different,
ranging from current to newest release to older releases) while I can
successfully initiate a ssh from iSH to any Linux box (three different
so far).

However: Since I can successfully initiate a ssh session from OpenBSD to
the iPhone, and then successfully BACK to any OpenBSD machine, I suspect
there may be some ENV-issues? Something that is set correctly when
initiating the ssh session from OpenBSD, but not when initiating from
iSH (but which still gets accepted by Linux)?

Erling