On Mon, Jan 30, 2023 at 03:13:24PM +0100, my25mb wrote:
> Thanks for your patient to ride my horse.. and Peter and Stuart, for
> the completeness of your replies.Often, in this "perfect" world we are
> always all "developers" or advanced users to know enough about OpenBSD.
> However, when it comes to business three stuff could happen and sorry if
> they appear hilarious:- IT staff of the shop is business oriented but
> not much skilled enough same time: just need to deliver pc, and could
> have already delivered my own purchase before to face "complexity"...
> indeed;- In terms of bucks, I do not see yet at time people in line to
> bet that writing to bugs@ will solve any present and future problem about
> their own wallet (although just few bucks);- Trust is not something
> left to the word of mouth:  a) talking about OpenBSD itself, I
> need to know that is going to run;  b) if there is an unofficial
> live image around seriously maintained and that solve the "hardness" quiz
> of the Team, I think this one or more of them out there (there are some)
> could be endorsed in the FAQ, or whereever by openbsd.org I'm a little bit
> surprised (and maybe.. a too simple dude) to hear that openbsd evaluated
> the possibility to adopt a live installation and gave it up, so lets
> watch to your own diffusion stats, eheh.....Daniele Bonini

I really do not want to appear hostile, but whatever it is you are using for
a mail client needs to be taken out behind the barn unless it can be made
to format properly.

As to the issues you are addressing,

* reporting whatever problem you have to b...@openbsd.org is useful in those
  cases you can supply relevant information. That list is read attentively
  by the developers. This is THE way to communicate with those who are able
  to fix any problems found in the OpenBSD codebase.

* the reason why there is no official live CD image is much the same as why
  OpenBSD does not have a graphical installer (another much requested feature).
  OpenBSD is portable, with 14 supported hardware platforms, and considerable
  effort has gone into making the system equally usable on all of them.

  Since the project does not have infinite resources in either money or people,
  priority is given to what appears useful to the developers themselves or
people
  who can be bothered to help out with such things as testing.

  For your purposes it is likely that grabbing installer for amd64 and using
that
  for a trial install will answer the question ("does it run on this hardware?")
  with little or no effort. If, on the other hand, the mysterious hardware is
not
  a variant of a supported platform, live CD images will not help you much
either.

So my recommendation would be to start with the installer FAQ,
https://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html
then if you like follow Crystal's advice on installing to a removable storage
device
and possibly dd'ing the result of that operation to a file that can be
downloaded
and dd'ed to a similar device for testing. All doable with operations similar to
what the FAQ describes.

- Peter

https://bsdly.blogspot.com/ https://www.bsdly.net/ https://www.nuug.no/