On Mon, Mar 11, 2024 at 12:43:58PM -0000, beecdadd...@danwin1210.de wrote:
> I have a problem where files recently downloaded go missing and it
> happened over 3 times and on patition/s with enough available space
> I want to verify it 1 more time before knowing hdd is failing for sure

Did you perhaps download these files to somewhere under /tmp or /var/tmp
or somewwhere else volatile like a memory file system and then reboot
before trying to access those downloads?

In general, files do not go missing unless someone explicitly delete them,
but there is a possibility that you stumbled into one of the scenarios where
either a cleanup script or the volatile nature of the location you were playing
with did away with the data.

> so what gives?
> is hdd failing? but how do entire files go missing?
> maybe hdd metadata/header corruption of some kind?

If a drive is failing, more likely than not you would be seeing messages
in system log files or possibly even in dmesg output. Totally silent failures
are not very common.

https://bsdly.blogspot.com/ https://www.bsdly.net/ https://www.nuug.no/