On Wed, 6 Dec 2000, Gunther Birznieks wrote:

> I think the issue is Perl for web applications advocacy
> rather than mod_perl advocacy. If more people thought
> using Perl for web apps was cooler and easier than using
> PHP, then they would use Perl and then graduate to
> mod_perl when they were ready.

well said.

> As it is, PHP has 1-up on CGI/Perl. PHP is FAST while
> still having an easy programming model. Having an easy
> programming model was Perl's claim to fame and why web
> apps fluorished in CGI/Perl. But PHP added one thing --
> speed -- and they are taking it all away from Perl.

well there's also the in-core support for things like
database access, imap, etc etc. it's very easy to go to the
php manual and look up the api for interacting with these
services. you don't have to go to some component archive,
look for something that suits, choose between 3 or 4
components that all do the same thing but in different ways,
figure out how to configure the thing and work it into your
build, etc.

> The model is similar to FastCGI, but SpeedyCGI is
> trivial to setup unlike FastCGI which requires
> modification to the app.

yeah, one of the main goals of AO is to be portable between
mod_perl, FastCGI, SpeedyCGI and other process models. app
writers should be able to assume that the servlet
environment provides a standard set of services without
having to understand HOW, if that's their choice.