Patrick wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 07, 2000 at 03:52:01PM +0100, Stas Bekman took time to write:
> > Your problem is that you try to use the precompiled broken packages
> > provided by distros.
>
> If I can jump... I must say that I *never* had a problem with Debian
> packages of mod_perl. Maybe RedHat packages have (don't known I don't
> use that), but Debian packages are correct for me.
>
> So on a Debian System, you just need to do :
> apt-get install libapache-mod-perl
>
> and tweak the configuration files.
>
> At least that's my experience.

Mmmm, I did have a big problem (segfaults) with the apache and mod_perl
from Debian 2.1.  I think it was an upstream, not package, problem
though: that was when most everybody was having a problem with mod_perl
as a module.

I built it into Apache though, and it worked fine.

Debian 2.2 has it built that way as a binary, so I've just gone with
that.  I've stayed away from the separate module thing, so I have no
idea how well it works now.

> (BTW, kudos the the Debian maintainer which probably reads this list)

Absolutely.  I've never seen a package problem.