Andy

A few years ago I had a 4.6lt +8 and found that the level of oil was an
important factor in the running temp of the car.

With the oil half way between the marks on the dipstick it ran approx 10oC
hotter than when it was up to the top mark.

I can see the value of the oil cooler as it is in contact with the moving
internals of the engine rather in a jacket around the block etc. Someone on
the other side of the pond recently said they had a finned alloy sump (which
would aid oil cooling) on their TR engined +4 and it ran at reasonable
temperatures in high ambient conditions.

Nevertheless a good radiator is an essential, as I established after I had
mine re-cored! The manufacturers design the radiator bearing the parameters
of the market the vehicle is to be sold in, or at least they should!

Colin Mackay