H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> Luke-Jr wrote:
>

>> For language standarization, I think keeping it backwards compatible is
>> going to be a priority.  This language is going to be (at least
>> initially) used primarily by those people currently familar with MOO,
>> and I don't see any real purpose to making them have to remember a
>> seperate syntax.  while the if/endif may look less than optimal (and can
>> be a noticable decrease in typing speed while coding) it does work, and
>> makes the parser that much simpler.
>>

> Personally, I consider that to be futile.  There are too many serious
> mistakes in MOO, so backwards compatible versus progressive is a hard
> choice.
>
> The biggest problems with MOO is the lack of multiple inheritance, the
> cooperative threading model, and the separate

Multiple inheritance can be added without breaking compatibility. It is
also not extensively difficult to make preemptive threading act like
cooperative threading. It would simply require "locking" properties and
such when they are accessed in a verb and not unlocking them until
suspend() or similar is called.

> namespaces for verbs and properties.  The last one especially is a
> particularly tricky, since the sanest interpretation of a verb is
> simply to consider "compiled code" an atomic datatype, and have a
> compile() builtin which returns this datatype:
>
> object.verb = compile("source code");
>
> This would allow simple generalizations; for example eval() now
> becomes something like:
>
> compile("source code")(arguments);
>
> (add error handling, and you get the idea.)

I don't see why verbs/functions need to be treated the same as
properties. Other languages, like C, keep global variables seperate from
functions. Why would MOOcode/C& be any different?