From: mitte...@univie.ac.at <mitte...@univie.ac.at>
Sent: Tuesday, November 6, 2018 9:09 AM
To: MORPHMET <morphmet@morphometrics.org>
Subject: [MORPHMET] Re: semilandmarks in biology

I agree only in part.

Whether or not semilandmarks "really are needed" may be hard to say beforehand.
If the signal is known well enough before the study, even a single linear
distance or distance ratio may suffice. In fact, most geometric morphometric
studies are characterized by an oversampling of (anatomical) landmarks as an
exploratory strategy: it allows for unexpected findings (and nice
visualizations).

Furthermore, there is a fundamental difference between sliding semilandmarks
and other outline methods, including EFA. When establishing correspondence of
semilandmarks across individuals, the minBE sliding algorithm takes the
anatomical landmarks (and their stronger biological homology) into account,
while standard EFA and related techniques cannot easily combine point homology
with curve or surface homology. Clearly, when point homology exists, it should
be parameterized accordingly. If smooth curves or surfaces exists, they should
also be parameterized, whether or not this makes the analysis slightly more
challenging.

Anyway, different landmarks often convey different biological signals and
different homology criteria. For instance, Type I and Type II landmarks (sensu
Bookstein 1991) differ fundamentally in their notion of homology. Whereas Type
I landmarks are defined in terms of local anatomy or histology, a Type II
landmark is a purely geometric construct, which may or may not coincide with
notions of anatomical/developmental homology. ANY reasonable morphometric
analysis must be interpreted in the light of the correspondence function
employed, and the some holds true for semilandmarks. For this, of course, one
needs to understand the basic properties of sliding landmarks, much as the
basic properties of Procrustes alignment, etc.. For instance, both the sliding
algorithm and Procrustes alignment introduce correlations between shape
coordinates (hence their reduced degrees of freedom). This is one of the
reasons why I have warned for many years and in many publications about the
biological interpretation of raw correlations (e.g., summarized in Mitteroecker
et al. 2012 Evol Biol). Interpretations in terms of morphological integration
or modularity are even more difficult because in most studies these concepts
are not operationalized. They are either described by vague and biologically
trivial narratives, or they are themselves defined as patterns of correlations,
which is circular and makes most "hypotheses" untestable.

The same criticism applies to the naive interpretation of PCA scree plots and
derived statistics. An isotropic (circular) distribution of shape coordinates
corresponds to no biological model or hypothesis whatsoever (e.g., Huttegger &
Mitteroecker 2011, Bookstein & Mitteroecker 2014, and Bookstein 2015, all three
in Evol Biol). Accordingly, a deviation from isometry does not itself inform
about integration or modularity (in any reasonable biological sense).

The multivariate distribution of shape coordinates, including "dominant
directions of variation," depend on many arbitrary factors, including the
spacing, superimposition, and sliding of landmarks as well as on the number of
landmarks relative to the number of cases. But all of this applies to both
anatomical landmarks and sliding semilandmarks.

I don't understand how the fact that semilandmarks makes some of these issues
more obvious is an argument against their use.

Best,

Philipp