Andrea,

I am intrigued by your initial comment about adding covariance that was
apparently absent.  I tend to think of the problem from the other perspective
of not accounting for covariance that should be present.  As a thought
experiment (that could probably be simulated, and maybe I am not correct in my
thinking), I like to think of two landmark configurations that are the same in
all regards except for one curve, where two groups have distinctly different
curves but maybe would not be obviously distinctively different if an
insufficient number of semi-landmarks (or none) were used to characterize the
curve.  If one were to (maybe simulate this example and) use one sparse
representation of landmarks and one dense representation, perform a
cross-validation classification analysis, and calculate posterior
classification probabilities (let’s assume equal sample sizes and, therefore,
equal prior probabilities), I would expect that the posterior probabilities of
the dense landmark configuration would better assign specimens to the
appropriate process that generated them (i.e., their correct groups).  The
posterior probabilities would be closer to 0 and 1 because of the “added
covariance”, as reflected by the squared generalized Mahalanobis distances,
based on the pooled within-group covariance.  The added covariance would be
essential for the posterior probabilities, if the sparse configurations
produced similar generalized distances to group means, and therefore, similar
posterior probabilities for classification.

I’m not sure adding covariance is an issue.  To me it simply changes the
hypothetical (null) covariance structure, which Philipp mentioned should
probably not be assumed to be independent (isotropic).  I think your example
might best highlight that a different multivariate normal distribution of
residuals is to be expected with a different configuration.

Cheers!
Mike