Making cool pictures has a purpose only if both the pics and the numbers behind them are accurate. It's not an aim in itself, I hope (although this is the second time I hear that one should add as many points as needed to see a nice picture). Parsimonious explanations are, to me, much more appealing than nice pictures (as much as I like a beautiful visualization), but that might be a matter of taste.

Philipp, could you clarify what "homology function" means?
We're not saying that sliding creates homology, as I sometimes read in papers, are we?

No doubt one does not expect anatomical regions of an organism to be independent. The open question to me is what the biological covariance is and what is the bit added by superimposing and maybe sliding. I suspect that on this there's no universal answer: it will be dependent on the study organism, the number and distribution (and type) of landmarks etc. In some studies it might not matter much, but in others may be much more relevant.

Thanks all for the comments.
Cheers

Andrea