I agree only in part.

Whether or not semilandmarks "really are needed" may be hard to say
beforehand. If the signal is known well enough before the study, even a
single linear distance or distance ratio may suffice. In fact, most
geometric morphometric studies are characterized by an oversampling of
(anatomical) landmarks as an exploratory strategy: it allows for unexpected
findings (and nice visualizations).

Furthermore, there is a fundamental difference between sliding
semilandmarks and other outline methods, including EFA. When establishing
correspondence of semilandmarks across individuals, the minBE sliding
algorithm takes the anatomical landmarks (and their stronger biological
homology) into account, while standard EFA and related techniques cannot
easily combine point homology with curve or surface homology. Clearly, when
point homology exists, it should be parameterized accordingly. If smooth
curves or surfaces exists, they should also be parameterized, whether or
not this makes the analysis slightly more challenging.

Anyway, different landmarks often convey different biological signals and
different homology criteria. For instance, Type I and Type II landmarks
(sensu Bookstein 1991) differ fundamentally in their notion of homology.
Whereas Type I landmarks are defined in terms of local anatomy or
histology, a Type II landmark is a purely geometric construct, which may or
may not coincide with notions of anatomical/developmental homology. ANY
reasonable morphometric analysis must be interpreted in the light of the
correspondence function employed, and the some holds true for
semilandmarks. For this, of course, one needs to understand the basic
properties of sliding landmarks, much as the basic properties of Procrustes
alignment, etc.. For instance, both the sliding algorithm and Procrustes
alignment introduce correlations between shape coordinates (hence their
reduced degrees of freedom). This is one of the reasons why I have warned
for many years and in many publications about the biological interpretation
of raw correlations (e.g., summarized in Mitteroecker et al. 2012 Evol
Biol). Interpretations in terms of morphological integration or modularity
are even more difficult because in most studies these concepts are not
operationalized. They are either described by vague and biologically
trivial narratives, or they are themselves defined as patterns of
correlations, which is circular and makes most "hypotheses" untestable.

The same criticism applies to the naive interpretation of PCA scree plots
and derived statistics. An isotropic (circular) distribution of shape
coordinates corresponds to no biological model or hypothesis whatsoever
(e.g., Huttegger & Mitteroecker 2011, Bookstein & Mitteroecker 2014, and
Bookstein 2015, all three in Evol Biol). Accordingly, a deviation from
isometry does not itself inform about integration or modularity (in any
reasonable biological sense).
The multivariate distribution of shape coordinates, including "dominant
directions of variation," depend on many arbitrary factors, including the
spacing, superimposition, and sliding of landmarks as well as on the number
of landmarks relative to the number of cases. But all of this applies to
both anatomical landmarks and sliding semilandmarks.

I don't understand how the fact that semilandmarks makes some of these
issues more obvious is an argument against their use.

Best,

Philipp