Jean-Marc Desperrier wrote:

I also know someone in the US who lost her credit card number over a connection. She did a non-SSL transactions (with a business that didn't have a cert) on a university network.

I'd be interested in establishing that - this is
the first time I've ever heard anyone claim that
an actual case of a credit card being lost over a
connection.

And, I've been looking for the last decade or so...

Is there any documentation on this?  Is there any
indication that the card was in fact lost over the
network, rather than being hacked from the business's
computer?  Any correlation between the thief and the
victim?  Or was the card maybe lifted form the dorm
room?