Jean-Marc Desperrier wrote:

You mean a bank *operating* in France, Julien ?
If that's so, that's a disgusting thing to do.
You can call any consumers' association and denounce that.
If your bank really did that, they lied and cheated you.

Yes they did ...

The french law is very clear. You can not be held liable for a transaction if neither your signature, nor your secret code was used.
You only need to write a letter to repudiate it, and if they still want to charge you, the burden of proof that the merchandise was actually sent to you is on them.
http://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/WAspad/UnArticleDeCode?code=CMONFINL.rcv&art=L132-4

Your problem may have occured before 2001, but that law did nothing but explicit the jurisprudence that existed before that date.

It happened to me before, to my mother after.

I also know someone in the US who lost her credit card number over a connection. She did a non-SSL transactions (with a business that didn't have a cert) on a university network.

American are not as protected by law as French people are, and this kind of things can be a much larger problem in the US.