CarlosRivera wrote:

Just look at your logs. It is interesting how many times I see the screen resolution and depth in the parameters being passed to many sites. I certainly have not filled in any form with this information. Just try the following out:

<script>
alert("screen info" + screen.width + ", " + screen.height + ", " + screen.colorDepth);
</script>

It is not too much more effort to submit this information to a website...

Christopher Jahn wrote:

CarlosRivera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:

I have heard that web sites are using screen size (width, height) and depth to help track one. For example, they could make a fairly reasonable guess that somebody with screen information of 640x480x256
or 1920x1280x32 is in a certain income category. They can also store
this information and your IP subnet and track one. I consider that my
screen size and depth should be private. Is there a way to set these
sorts of properties for javascript to my choosing?

Where did you hear this? This is a new one to me.

Javascript isn't used to determine screen size, and AFAIK the web page and its server simply dish up HTML - your browser determines how to fit it to your screen.

OOOH a wee bit paranoid are we! ;-)

As a web designer, I doubt that the information is being use for such nefarious reasons but more pragmatic as to dynamically match the layout and graphics on their site to the visitor’s browser. The reason, to make it look better, more legible…etc.

--
Take care,

Jonathan