Hallo Martin,

Du schriebst am Tue, 12 Nov 2013 10:19:38 +0100:

> > > Is a record with BITSIZE automatically bitpacked?
> >
> > I gather this does make sense.
> >
> I am not sure. I don't like implicit things much.

That's right - but "bitsize" specifications aren't really useful without
packing. But you might decide that omitting the "bitpacked" keyword makes a
record implementation dependendly packed. Or you might make it even more
complex, packing the adjacent fields with bitsize specifications by bits
and other, possibly intervening fields by some other alignment.
I gather it made sense to not make it overly complicated.

> >    x1: int64: 2;
> Invalid because int64 is defined as -800000000000..7fffffffffffffff which
> does not fit in 2 bits.

What would imply that you had to define a "fitting" type first.
Don't forget the compatibility issues - although I'd opt for general
incompatibility, these types are really all numeric types that could be
coerced, so there should probabely be a method to force compatibility
("casting") that has to be implemented, usually by (sign) extending the
smaller type to comply with the larger for calculations, and extension or
truncation as required for assignments. Also, what will you do about a
signed / unsigned result that overflows the range of a signed / unsigned
result type? (I.e. assigning a 16 bit unsigned integer of, say, value
44444, to a signed 16 bit variable.)