On Sunday 11 June 2017 02:36:46 Sieghard wrote:
> Hallo Martin,
>
> Du schriebst am Sat, 10 Jun 2017 06:54:15 +0200:
> > I don't like "sub" much but found nothing better up to now. I think that
>
> "sub" seems to me to imply you're about to create a new BASIC variant.
> Why not use "function" for all such things, if you don't like to
> explicitely state that some won't return a value. Looks like C then,
> but Delphi and fpc allow for discarding a return value already anyway.
> The separate names of Wirth's Pascal _did_ have a reason, and that was to
> discern between real functions, which ought to _only_ calculate something
> and return the result of the calculation, like a mathematical function
> does, and a multiply used sequence of commands that produce a "side
> effect", something the programm doesn't really need internally, but that
> provides "useful" information for its environment (e.g. the user).
> Considering the implementation of "VAR" parameters, i.e. parameters that
> can transport a value from within a procedure to its program surroundings,
> this difference has been blurred quite a lot by careless use(ers).

"function" in C always has a type identifier. As you write, a mathematical
function returns something. So "procedure" like in Wirth's Modula2.

> > object methods deserve an own token "method" because of the implicit
> > "self" parameter.
>
> This _might_ be considered a valid argument, except that _any_ method
> _must_ always be specified in conjunction with its containing object so
> that there shouldn't be room for uncertainty.

A "method" combines a code address and a data pointer which is different
from "procedure" which is a code address only. "method" also eliminates the
need of the ugly
"
var
 meth1: procedure (a,b: int32) of object;
"
construct.

> You might argue with "WITH"
> here, but even that is strictly defined in Pascal as to imply the scope of
> the referenced object as the outermost one, and therefore has to be used
> in case of multiple candidates. Alternatively, you might consider to do
> away with "WITH", as some even say they consider it harmful. You should
> remember, though, that this may mean a lot more typing (all those
> qualifiers that are otherwise implied).

MSElang provides a safe "with" statement with mandatory local qualifier.

[...]

> > It has the advantage that procedure and method names are aligned. More
>
> That _might_ be a disadvantage at times, as it might make reading the
> source text more difficult.

Please explain.