On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 7:46 PM Russell Wedelich <wedel...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Respectively Eric, I think you may be confusing two different use cases
> for windows. Your recent reference is referring to constructing FIR filters
> via the Windowing method of ideal brickwall filters. This is different from
> a frequency domain convolution implementation of an FIR filter (which may
> or may not explicitly apply a smooth window) which as far as I can tell is
> the origin of this part of the discussion.

And for the convolution implementation of a FIR filter if you were to
compare _correct_ implementations of each approach which had adequate(*)
internal precision relative to the output, the results would be _bit
identical_.

(*) In practice, digital implementations of *both* time domain FIR and
convolution typically lack enough internal precision such that their output
is exact, and as a result they won't be bit identical. Though I wouldn't be
surprised if, for a given internal precision, a WOLA implementation using
FFTs wasn't *more* faithful to a infinite precision FIR than the same FIR
implemented with limited precision, due to the smaller circuit depth for
the frequency domain approach.