David Bobroff wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I have a very strange thing happening with a .pmx file.  I have coded a
> Gabrieli Canzon for transposition for a trumpet ensemble.  As usual there
> were some typos and I processed the file after every block of input to sort
> out most of them.  One mistake did not make its presence known until I had
> run scor2prt.  At that point one of the parts showed an extraneous small
> flat sign near a note head.  I tracked it down and it was being caused by a
> dash (-) where there should not have been one.  When I went back to the
> full score *.pmx file to eliminate it I got strange behavior in the output.
>
> If I don't have this extra dash then the page layout goes crazy.  I have
> npages set to 4 and nsyst set to 12 which should give me three systems per
> page.  It does so BUT ONLY IF I HAVE THIS EXTRA DASH.  If I remove it I get
> no more than two systems per page and it spreads out over eight pages.
> This is reproducable behavior.  I can remove the dash and the layout goes
> haywire.  If I then put it back, all is well.
>
> I'm running the *nix 2.0.0 version on a RedHat 6.0 system.
>
> The pmx input file follows.  Look in the input block marked % bar 5-8.
> There is a double line of %%%.  In the first line of %%%%%% it says "the
> dash below this gap" and there is a gap just under that text between a pair
> of > <.  The dash is just below that gap.
>
> What's going on?

> % bar 1-4
> Tt
> CANZON V
> (1615)
> Tc
> Giovanni Gabrieli
> %Ar K+3-1
> rp rp rp g43 g8 g g2 /
> rp rp rp rp
> /
> rp rp r2 g44 g8 g g2 r2 /
> rp rp g44 g8 g g2 r2 g4 g8 g /
> c45 c8 c c2 r8 c
> b e d c b a g f e d [ cd d1 ed8 f1 ] g4 d e d /
> rp r2 g45 g8 g g2 r8 c- b e
> d c b a gd a1 b c d b /

you have a surplus 16'th note in the last voice !!!!

> r2 g45 g8 g g4 r8 c- b e d c b a g f e4 r8 c+ b e d
> c b a g4 /
> % bar 5-8
> r2 r8 c b e d c b a g f e d [ cd d1 ed8 f1 ] gd4 c8-
> g+ c b e d c b a /
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%the dash below this gap%%%%%%
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%>
> <%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
> c44 c8 c c4 r8 c b e d c b a g f [ e d cd d1 ] ed8 f1 g4 s
> -  g8 s c- g+ c b e d c /
> g4 g8 g g2 s g s r4 r8 d e f g4 e r g g8 g g4 r
> /
> g2 r4 r1 g g a b8 g r4 r2 r2 g4 g8 g g2 r4 r1 g g a /
> c2  r1 g1+ g a b8 g
> r1 g g a b8 c d d- e f g4 e r8 c+ b e d1 g- g a b8 c d g- r4 /
> c45 r1 c c d
> e8 c r4 r8 g+ g g g2 r8 g g g g4 r8 c- b e d1 g- g a b8 g g4+ s /
> r1 c1 c d
> e8 c r g+ g g g2 r8 g g g g4 r8 c8- b e d1 g- g a b8 g r4 r1 g g a b8 c /
> %

I can't say for sure whether the above mentioned extra note is the cause of
your problem, maybe it is. But if you have more than one measure per input
block I would HIGHLY recommend using barlines ! It is terribly difficult
keeping the survey over the music without them, and you risk - as in this case
- to enter erroneous notes.

If you quote larger portions of code directly in your email you can't be sure
of how the line breaks come out at the receivers. You should compact you code
(e.g. using zip) and attach it instead. Then it's much easier for the receivers
to handle it.

Regards
--
Christian Mondrup, Computer Programmer
Scandiatransplant, Skejby Hospital, University Hospital of Aarhus