Mr. Bobroff--

The problem you describe has been covered on this list several times; the
phantom figure, in this case, just toggles pmx (as far as I understand)
between different vertical spacing calculations, one of which gives the
'wrong' result.

To keep pmx from calculating 'bad' values for staff spacing on alternate
pages, add the inline tex beginning \\let near the beginning of the file
as

Giovanni Gabrieli
%Ar K+3-1
\\let\interstaffsav\interstaff\def\interstaff#1{}\interstaffsav{8}\
rp rp rp g43 g8 g g2 /
rp rp rp rp /

You may want to adjust the parameter to \interstaffsav, or add the special
scor2prt quasi-comment characters to get a result you like.  This gave a
pleasing layout on my machine (A4 paper, PMX 2.0, Linux).

:laird pruiksma