:laird Pruiksma wrote

>To keep pmx from calculating 'bad' values for staff spacing on alternate
>pages, add the inline tex beginning \\let near the beginning of the file
>as
>
>Giovanni Gabrieli
>%Ar K+3-1
>\\let\interstaffsav\interstaff\def\interstaff#1{}\interstaffsav{8}\
>rp rp rp g43 g8 g g2 /
>rp rp rp rp /

This is a possible solution but there's another one which, IMHO, is better
simply because it does not require inline TeX.  Recognizing the weakness of
PMX's vertical spacing algorithms, a while ago I introduced the pmx command
"AI[decimal number]", and that's the way to go here.  Zap the extra "-", put
"AI.95" before the first input block, and there you go.

Details, for those who care: In PMX the critical adjustable parameter for
vertical spacing in \interstaff, which controls the vertical distance from
one staff to the next within a system. (\stafftopmarg and \staffbotmarg are
always set to 0 when there is more than one staff per system, and more than
some minimum number of systems per page). By issuing \eject at the end of
each page, the left-over available vertical space is distributed between the
systems.  There should always be some left-over vertical space, but PMX
sometimes falls down, computing a value of \interstaff that is too big to
leave any.  When that happens, the last system will spill over onto an added
page. Apparently, the extra "-" makes PMX think there are figures in the
score, even though it's not in staff #1 (?!).  Anyhow, what this does is
reserve some extra vertical space for every system, causing \interstaff to
be set to a smaller value than otherwise.  Without the "-", \interstaff is
larger, enough so that the last system on a page rolls over to the next.
The "AI" command lets the use specify a factor to be applied to \interstaff.
By reducing the internally computed \interstaff this way, you can squeeze
things back together so they fit on pages as you want.

--Don Simons