Philip, et al --

...and then Philip Mak said...
%
% I just had another thought: Might it make sense to store sent mail
% together with normal messages?

Whoops; this seemed blindingly obvious to me.  Yes, it certainly does
make sense.  That's why I set $save_name and $force_name (and $copy, of
course).  I only depart from this for mailing list folders; I procmail my
mutt-users mail into =F.mutt but save my fcc in =mutt-users just like
any other sent mail.  This makes even more sense because I also only
check =F.* for new mail.

%
% A fundamental problem is that mutt's "Search" feature cannot search over
% multiple mailboxes. Thus, if I want to review a series of e-mails that I
% exchanged with someone about a specific topic, then it may be useful to be
% able to see both sides of the conversation.

In fact, I often don't save the original message, but only my outbound
reply with his message quoted in it.  I can follow the conversation well
enough iand save *some* disk space (yes, I already save a lot of mail, but
one tries to be good :-) and some search time; if I quote little or none
of the original, THEN I drop it into =username with its reply.

HTH & HAND & Happy New Year!

:-D
(work) [EMAIL PROTECTED]