> FYI, also the "ns_set put" crashes the server e.g. if I run this in /ds/shell:

it is clear. The problem were not the "ns_set update" or the "ns_set put" commands itself, but the fact, that the key "content-type" was in lower-case and the normalization of the output headers was causing the crash. Some ages ago, it was possible to set two different header values with upper and lower case keys, leading to some unspecified behaviors in browsers.