I've tried depoisoning a few of these 6844/5031 tubes with zero success,
even at high current (20+ mA). They get hot, but wont clean-up. Whatever
contaminates the surface of the cathode is rather stubborn. Perhaps it's an
oxide; many of these failing tubes have a black haze inside the tube, which
I suspect is Iron(II) oxide. There is a lack of oxygen, so the familiar
Iron(III) oxide wont form.