Hello Everyone,

It is nice to find renewed interest in the NFC-L list.

Thank you, Laura, for posting this information about the article my research
team published in *Condor: Ornithological Applications*, concerning
ground-level lights and NFCs.  I thought I would provide a brief explanation
of our research.  My students and I conducted simultaneous NFC recordings
at adjacent "dark sites" (no artificial lights) and "light sites" (sights
with a low-level artificial light, such as a porch light or a street
light).  We found significantly higher numbers of NFCs above the light
sites compared to the dark sites; on average, we found three times the
number of NFCs about the light sites (on average, 31 NFCs per night above
light sites compared to 11 NFCs per night above dark sites).  We also found
a greater diversity of species producing NFCs about light sites, but this
difference was not significant (on average, 6.5 species or species-groups
above light sites compared to 4.5 species or species-groups above dark
sites).  We conducted these recordings at 16 pairs of sites in southern
Ontario, north of Lake Erie.

The take-away message from this paper: ground-level lights influence
the behaviour
of birds passing overhead in migration, even low-level lights like the
lights in our backyards.  We don't know if this is because birds are
lowering their altitude in response to lights, or changing the course of
their migration to pass over the lights, or being induced to call more often
over lights compared to dark sites.  I plan to try to study these alternatives,
going forward.

I'd be happy to share my "author's copy" of our *Condor* paper to anyone who
wants to read it; please email me off the list.  I'd also like to point out
that my website has a set of spectrograms of NFCs (LINK
<http://web2.uwindsor.ca/courses/biology/dmennill/pubs/2014Condor371supp.pdf>
) from 40 different species or species-groups, based on recordings we've
made in Ontario over the last few years (it is a supplement from a
previous paper
that we published in *Condor*, showing that the number of NFCs is a good
predictor of the timing and magnitude of migration of birds through the
Great Lakes).

Happy NFC listening to all on this list!

Dan

Dan Mennill
Associate Professor
Chair, Biology Graduate Program
Department of Biological Sciences
University of Windsor
Email: dmenn...@uwindsor.ca
Web: www.uwindsor.ca/dmennill

On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 12:48 PM, Laura C. Gooch <lgo...@alum.mit.edu>
wrote:

> Folks,
>
> In the spirit of recent discussions from Geoff, John, and Chris, I thought
> list members might be interested in this from the May 2016 issue of *The
> Condor*:
>
> Anthropogenic light is associated with increased vocal activity by
> nocturnally migrating birds
> *Matthew J. Watson 1,
> <http://aoucospubs.org/doi/abs/10.1650/CONDOR-15-136.1#aff1>a
> <http://aoucospubs.org/doi/abs/10.1650/CONDOR-15-136.1#n101>*
> <http://aoucospubs.org/doi/abs/10.1650/CONDOR-15-136.1#cor1>, David R.
> Wilson 1, <http://aoucospubs.org/doi/abs/10.1650/CONDOR-15-136.1#aff1>b
> <http://aoucospubs.org/doi/abs/10.1650/CONDOR-15-136.1#n102>, and Daniel J.
> Mennill 1 <http://aoucospubs.org/doi/abs/10.1650/CONDOR-15-136.1#aff1>*
> <http://aoucospubs.org/doi/abs/10.1650/CONDOR-15-136.1#cor1>*
>
> http://aoucospubs.org/doi/abs/10.1650/CONDOR-15-136.1
>
> These results certainly suggest that comparing call numbers from urban and
> rural sites is problematic. It's not clear to me what impact an isolated
> light might have.
>
> Yours,
>
> Laura Gooch
>
> P.S. If you need a hand with getting access to the full article, let me
> know off of the list.
>

> --
> Subscribe, Configuration and Leave
> <http://www.northeastbirding.com/NFC-L_SubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm>