Unencumbered as I am by knowledge, experience or understanding of dance steps,
I too have asked this question. I am led to believe that the emphasis should be
on the third beat of the bar as this mirrors a larger/more emphatic step in the
dance.

I had a look at Moody to see if there's any guidance linguistically. No
definite help, we have:

Rantan, Rantaan. Used in the phrase "on the rantan", indulging one's self in
disorderly and wild conduct as a form of high spirited enjoyment: a milder form
of "on the rampaadge"(sic), "on the spree", e.g. He's gyen on the rantan,  i.e.
his frolic can be sympathetically excused.

Ranter
1. A term applied in contemptuous disparagement to the more zealous members of
the Methodist Church - particularly of the Primitive Methodist body - who were
given to ardent impromptu prayers, lusty singing of hymns and loud ejaculations
of Pious praise during their religious services. Thus: "Aa've left the Chorch
(Anglican) an' aa've joined the Ranters.Note, the Primitive Methodist Church
originated in 1807-1810 and the term Ranter was first used in 1814.
2. By transference, applied to hymns sung in the Primitive Methodist and United
Methodist Churches, or in the Salvation Army. These hymns, nowadays sadly out
of favour, were characterised by rollicking tunes, half line refrains (sung by
alternate parts) and rather crude sentiment; but they were enjoyable to sing
and were rendered both lustily and fervently: e.g. "Ay, that's a gud aad Rantor
that hymn"

So can anyone fill in the gap between the hymns and the dance? Or any of the
rollicking tunes?

I'll put this on the NSP forum as a question too.

cheers
Tim