     From: Gibbons, John <j.gibb...@imperial.ac.uk>
     Subject: [NSP] Re: Rants again
     To: "NSP group" <nsp@cs.dartmouth.edu>
     Date: Monday, 11 July, 2011, 13:05

   Why has this rant thread gone so quiet all last week?
   What makes a tune sound like a rant, rather than a reel or hornpipe?
   If I take a (4 in a bar) hornpipe without triplets, speed it up a bit,
   but not as much as a reel,
   smooth out the dotting a bit, and emphasise the odd beats at the
   expense of the even ones,
   will I get a rant? How essential are those 3-crotchet cadences?
   Are there any essential stylistic features that this attempt at a
   description misses?
   John