Etymology+Origin of rant (verb)

   1598, from Du. randten "talk foolishly, rave," of unknown origin (cf.
   Ger. rantzen "to frolic, spring about"). The noun is first attested
   1649, from the verb. Ranters "antinomian sect which arose in England
   c.1645" is attested from 1651; applied 1823 to early Methodists. A 1700
   slang dictionary has rantipole "a rude wild Boy or Girl."