On Aug 12, 2023, 9:35 AM -0600, Hans Hagen <j.ha...@xs4all.nl>, wrote:
** Caution: EXTERNAL Sender **

On 8/12/2023 4:03 PM, Hamid,Idris wrote:

\tfx causes a switch to computer modern.

Indeed. Something I need to discuss with Wolfgang as double checking is needed
before I patch.

Ah.. ok.

But what if we want to scale independently of font switching?
There is no need to go lua here (esp when you have not done vf magick
before and i'm not going to debug code that i have little clue what it's
about to do).

Many thanks. Part of the context is that I have some updatable mission-critical
documents that depended on \defineactivecharacter, which is apparently
deprecated in LMTX. See earlier thread with that subject line.

[BTW: Just this morning someone from the Persian Gulf asked for an updated
version of a document whose compilation depended on \defineactivecharacter, so
I need to get this working in the new regime -)]

Now the templates that you provided - many, many thanks! - have what is needed
to care of everything except for two characters: 02BE and 02BF.

For one of those two remaining characters we also need scaling, for the other
we also need scaling + rotation. It is not clear to me whether the
scaling/rotation commands should fall under the character function, e.g.,

=======
-- ΚΏ ringhalfleft
local function ringhalfleft (characters,target,base,accent)
=======

the initialize function

=======
local function initialize(tfmdata,value)
=======

or whether we just make a new function altogether

=======
local function scale (ringhalfleft)  -- shooting in the dark here
=======

So the reason I said CLD is best is because we already defined all of the
needed characters that way -- using your template -- except for these two, for
which we need to add scaling and or rotation.

The attached (linked in the previous email but attached here) gives us rotation
but no scaling.
- we cheat here and yuse glyph scaled (I have to provide a relative to
current x/y scaling, don't use \glyphscale as that one is used by
context itself
- we use the style variant so that it adapts
- you have to replace "Serif" with "YourFont" and map that one onto a
file (YourFont YourFontBold etc)
- more about these box manipulations in the low level manual

Ok. Just discovered the 11 low-level manuals yesterday, not sure which one to
focus on in this case -)
\startsetups glyph:iTee
\dontleavehmode\hpack\bgroup
\setbox\scratchbox \ruledhbox \bgroup
\glyphxscale 400
\glyphyscale 400
\getglyphstyled{Serif}{T}% choose a font here
\egroup
\scratchheight 2.75\ht\scratchbox
\boxyoffset \scratchbox\scratchheight
\boxorientation\scratchbox\plustwo
\ht \scratchbox\scratchheight
\box\scratchbox
\egroup
\stopsetups

\definesymbol
[iTee]
[\directsetup{glyph:iTee}]

\startTEXpage [offset=1ts,width=2cm]
\ruledhbox {\tfx T \symbol{iTee}} \par
\ruledhbox {T \symbol{iTee}} \par
\ruledhbox {\tfa T \symbol{iTee}} \par
\ruledhbox {\bfd T \symbol{iTee}}
\stopTEXpage

Great, will study this. The challenge (for me) will be integrating this
approach into the lua definitions of the two needed characters. With
\defineactivecharacter deprecated, there seems to be no way other than CLD to
make and register the needed macro for \definefontfeature -- and we want to
move forward with the new regime and not look back.

With many thanks and much gratitude, Hans.

Best wishes
Idris

--
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid