On Aug 12, 2023, 3:49 PM -0600, Hans Hagen <j.ha...@xs4all.nl>, wrote:

> you'll figure it out, right?

I hope so and I'm working on it -- with your help -)

> the demo shows both: x/.y scaling and 90/180/270 rotation

Yes, here is what I have so far:

==============
% % Hans' original template

% \startsetups glyph:iTee
     % \dontleavehmode\hpack\bgroup
         % \setbox\scratchbox \ruledhbox \bgroup
             % \glyphxscale 400
             % \glyphyscale 400
             % \getglyphstyled{Serif}{T}% choose a font here
         % \egroup
         % \scratchheight 2.75\ht\scratchbox
         % \boxyoffset    \scratchbox\scratchheight
         % \boxorientation\scratchbox\plustwo
         % \ht            \scratchbox\scratchheight
         % \box\scratchbox
     % \egroup
% \stopsetups

% \definesymbol
   % [iTee]
   % [\directsetup{glyph:iTee}]

% \startTEXpage [offset=1ts,width=2cm]
     % \ruledhbox {\tfx T \symbol{iTee}} \par
     % \ruledhbox {T      \symbol{iTee}} \par
     % \ruledhbox {\tfa T \symbol{iTee}} \par
     % \ruledhbox {\bfd T \symbol{iTee}}
% \stopTEXpage

\definefontsynonym[MinionRegular][MinionPro-Regular.otf*default]

\startsetups glyph:glottalhamzah
     \dontleavehmode\hpack\bgroup
         \setbox\scratchbox \ruledhbox \bgroup
             \glyphxscale 500
             \glyphyscale 500
             \getglyphstyled{MinionRegular}{c}% choose a font here
         \egroup
         \scratchheight 2.03\ht\scratchbox
         \boxyoffset    \scratchbox\scratchheight
         \boxorientation\scratchbox\plustwo
         \ht            \scratchbox\scratchheight
         \box\scratchbox
     \egroup
\stopsetups

\startsetups glyph:glottalayn
     \dontleavehmode\hpack\bgroup
         \setbox\scratchbox \ruledhbox \bgroup
             \glyphxscale 500
             \glyphyscale 500
             \getglyphstyled{MinionRegular}{c}% choose a font here
         \egroup
         \scratchheight 1.00\ht\scratchbox
         \boxyoffset    \scratchbox\scratchheight
         % \boxorientation\scratchbox\plustwo
         \ht            \scratchbox\scratchheight
         \box\scratchbox
     \egroup
\stopsetups

\definesymbol
   [glottalhamzah]
   [\directsetup{glyph:glottalhamzah}]

\definesymbol
   [glottalayn]
   [\directsetup{glyph:glottalayn}]

\definecolor [transparentgreen]  [g=1,t=.7,a=1]
\definecolor [transparentred]    [r=1,t=.7,a=1]
\definecolor [transparentyellow] [y=1,t=.7,a=1]

\startTEXpage [offset=1ts,width=2cm]
     \ruledhbox {\tfx  c\symbol{glottalhamzah}c} \par
     \ruledhbox       {c\symbol{glottalhamzah}c} \par
     \ruledhbox {\tfa  c\symbol{glottalhamzah}c} \par
     \ruledhbox {\bfd  c\symbol{glottalhamzah}c} \par

     \ruledhbox {\tfx  c\symbol{glottalayn}c} \par
     \ruledhbox       {c\symbol{glottalayn}c} \par
     \ruledhbox {\tfa  c\symbol{glottalayn}c} \par
     \ruledhbox {\bfd  c\symbol{glottalayn}c} \par

     \hbox{\rlap{\ruledhbox {\transparentgreen\tfx  c\symbol{glottalhamzah}c}}%
            \hskip-.09em     \ruledhbox {\transparentred
c\symbol{glottalhamzah}c}}

     \hbox{\rlap{\ruledhbox {\transparentgreen\tfx  c\symbol{glottalayn}c}}%
                 \ruledhbox {\transparentred        c\symbol{glottalayn}c}}
\stopTEXpage
==============

Note the \rlap's (see attached pdf): we see that \tfx doesn't scale the
\symbol, although \tfa and higher do work.

I guess fixing \tfx-symbol interaction will be part of your conversation with
Wolfgang -)

> well, you wented symbols so

Ultimately I just want to be able to type the Unicode symbols for 02BE and 02BF
-- ʾ and ʿ -- and get proper results. The overwhelming majority of hq fonts
don't have them, and the few that do do them poorly, etc.

(So there is no substitute for full control of these transliteration
characters.)

So even if we use symbols, would like to feed these setups to the CLD template
you provided some days ago and feed the final result to \definefontfeature.
=======

Best wishes
Idris
--