At 09:07 AM 5/24/2006, you wrote:
>Hans mentioned the minimal context linux distribution.

OK, I deleted everything I did yesterday and started over.  This time
I (think) I tried the minimal contex distribution.  Things still
aren't working.  I am on Redhat Enterprise Linux v4.  Thanks again
for the help.

- Neal

Here is what I did today:

download http://www.pragma-ade.nl/context/install/justtex.zip
download http://www.pragma-ade.nl/context/install/linuxtex.zip
move both files to /usr/local
cd /usr/local
unzip -a justtex.zip
unzip -a linuxtex.zip
Set up environment:

export TEXROOT=/usr/local/tex
export TMP=/var/tmp
export TEXMFMAIN=$TEXROOT/texmf
export TEXMFLOCAL=$TEXROOT/texmf-local
export TEXMFFONTS=$TEXROOT/texmf-fonts
export TEXMFEXTRA=$TEXROOT/texmf-extra
export TEXMFPROJECT=$TEXROOT/texmf-project
export TEXMFOS=$TEXROOT/texmf-linux
export VARTEXMF=$TMP/texmf-var
export TEXARCH=i686 # the results of uname -m
export TEXUNIX=Linux # the results of uname -s
export PATH=$TEXMFOS/bin:$PATH
export HOMETEXMF=$HOME/Library/texmf
export TEXMFCNF=$TEXROOT/texmf/web2c
export TEXMF=$TEXMFMAIN
export TEXMFDBS=$TEXMF
export TEXFORMATS=$TEXMFOS/web2c
export MPMEMS=$TEXFORMATS
export TEXPOOL=$TEXFORMATS
export MPPOOL=$TEXPOOL
export RUBYLIB=$TEXMFLOCAL/scripts/context/ruby:$RUBYLIB
export CTXMINIMAL=yes

create the directory specified by $VARTEXMF
cd $TEXMFOS/bin
chmod +x *
chmod -x xpdfsuite.zip
download http://www.pragma-ade.nl/context/current/cont-tmf.zip
mv cont-tmp.zip to $TEXROOT/texmf
cd $TEXROOT/texmf
unzip -ao cont-tmf.zip
copy texmf/context/config/texexec.rme texexec.ini

texexec --verbose

Output:

TeXExec | version 6.2.0 - 1997-2006 - PRAGMA ADE/POD

TeXExec | --check        check versions
TeXExec | --figures      generate overview of figures
TeXExec | --listing      list of file content
TeXExec | --make         make formats
TeXExec | --modules      generate module documentation
TeXExec | --mptex        process mp file
TeXExec | --mpxtex       process mpx file
TeXExec | --pdfarrange   impose pages (booklets)
TeXExec | --pdfcombine   combine multiple pages
TeXExec | --pdfcopy      copy pages from file(s)
TeXExec | --pdfselect    select pages from file(s)
TeXExec | --pdftrim      trim pages from file(s)
TeXExec | --process      process file
TeXExec |
TeXExec | --help --all   shows all switches

texexec --make en de nl

Output:

TeXExec | using search method 'kpsefast'
TeXExec | updating file database
sed: -e expression #1, char 3: unterminated `s' command
sed: -e expression #1, char 3: unterminated `s' command
mktexlsr: /usr/local/tex/texmf/ls-R lacks magic string. Skipping...
mktexlsr: Done.
TeXExec | using tex engine pdfetex
TeXExec | using tex format path /usr/local/tex/texmf-linux/web2c/pdfetex
TeXExec | generating tex format cont-en
This is pdfeTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.30.4-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.5) (INITEX)
  %&-line parsing enabled.
  (/usr/local/tex/texmf/web2c/natural.tcx)
entering extended mode
! I can't find file `cont-en'.
<*> *cont-en

Please type another input file name:

I'm stuck because I can't find a file 'cont-en' either.