Hi,

I will let the other, more experienced posters answer the bulk of your
questions, as they will do better than I. But about Endnote, which I
happen to use, alongside my own own doctoral dissertation writing
under ConTeXt, I can share some of my experience.

Although Endnote can export into BibTeX format, the result seems not
to be directly usable by BibTeX. Not familiar at all with BibTeX and
stuff in the beginning, I had look hard to find my answer, and I
finally did with the following link, although it's in a different
context:

http://www.mackichan.com/index.html?techtalk/558.htm~mainFrame

So I wrote a small Python program converting the keys that Endnote
exports -- and now everything works like a charm. I have no idea what
are your options, and what you are willing to do, but the bottom line
is, there is a slight obstacle going from Endnote to BibTeX, despite
appearances.

Jeff