Dnia Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 07:31:32AM +0200, Peter Münster napisał(a):
> On Wed, Oct 22 2008, Marcin Borkowski wrote:
>
> > Well, my heart is breaking when I type this, but my beloved emacs;) has
> > rather poor ConTeXt support...  I use Emacs 22 with AUCTeX 11.84.  Well,
> > although it *works*, it is by no means convenient - at least not that
> > convenient as an emacs should be;).
>
> Hello Marcin,
>
> What are the problems with emacs?

Here is the (unordered) list of what I remember at the moment.

* It almost never knows when to launch "View"; it almost always offers
  me to "ConTeXt" the file.

* (This is probably related to the previous one.)  When finished
  compilation, it says "ConTeXt: problems after {1} page." or something
  like this.

* When finding files, it offers me to find not only the .tex file, but
  also all the .tui, .tuo stuff etc. by default, which is rather
  inconvenient.

* It has no idea about most of ConTeXt commands, e.g., it tries to
  insert {} after ConTeXt commands put by C-c C-m.

* Unlike when editing LaTeX files, it does not insert an \item when
  doing C-c C-e itemize.  I use itemizations a lot and this is a bit
  annoying, especially that I got used to its behaior when doing LaTeX.
  Also, having C-c C-j asking about the (optional) label all the time is
  also tiring, I would prefer to be asked for it only with C-u C-c C-j.

* Only recently I discovered the --arrange parameter for texexec, and
  the fact that AUCTeX does not know about it.

* By default, being in dvi or pdf mode doesn't matter: you always end up
  with a pdf file.  This is fine when you have a fast computer, but on
  low-end, older ones (like mine;)) xdvi is *a lot* faster than xpdf.

I use the emacs & AUCTeX shipped with ubuntu 8.04.  It seems that emacs
comes preconfigured in this system in a rather stupid way, e.g.,
transient-mark-mode is on by default, which is not what I was used to.
A skim through the initialization files shows, however, that the ubuntu
people messed with almost everything but ConTeXt support, so this seems
to be a general AUCTeX issue.

I know that these are not *serious* problems; but the UX is poor with
them...  I plan to learn emacs lisp a bit in my spare time (though I
almost forgot what "spare time" means;P), but I certainly won't do any
serious hacking there.

> Cheers, Peter
>
> --
> http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

Greets

--
Marcin Borkowski (http://mbork.pl)

- Is it a Perl program or a Perl script?
- Well, a script is what you give the actors.
  A program is what you give the audience.

                (Larry Wall)