On Wed, Oct 22 2008, Marcin Borkowski wrote:

> > What are the problems with emacs?
>
> Here is the (unordered) list of what I remember at the moment.
>
> * It almost never knows when to launch "View"; it almost always offers
>   me to "ConTeXt" the file.

Hello Marcin,

Right, this is a bug. I could make a bug report for that issue.
I haven't done this before, because I don't really need this feature:
- I open a ConTeXt file
- then I begin with the View command to open an xpdf window
- then I only need ConTeXt commands, that refresh automatically the xpdf
  window (C-c C-c return)

Customization code for TeX-command-list:
("ConTeXt" "context --once --nonstopmode %t; xpdfcheck \"%s\" &&
 xpdf -remote \"%s\" -reload" TeX-run-TeX nil (context-mode) :help
 "Run ConTeXt once") ("ConTeXt Full" "context --nonstopmode %t;
 xpdfcheck \"%s\" && xpdf -remote \"%s\" -reload" TeX-run-TeX nil
 (context-mode) :help "Run ConTeXt until completion")

This is xpdfcheck.c :

#include <stdio.h>
#include <X11/Xlib.h>
int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
        Display *display;
        Atom remoteAtom;
        char remoteName[256];
        if(argc != 2){
                fprintf(stderr, "Usage: %s <remote-name>\n", argv[0]);
                return 1;
        }
        snprintf(remoteName, sizeof(remoteName), "xpdf_%s", argv[1]);
        if(!(display = XOpenDisplay(NULL)))
                return 1;
        remoteAtom = XInternAtom(display, remoteName, False);
        return !XGetSelectionOwner(display, remoteAtom);
}

> * (This is probably related to the previous one.)  When finished
>   compilation, it says "ConTeXt: problems after {1} page." or something
>   like this.

Indeed, this should be mentioned in the bug report.

> * When finding files, it offers me to find not only the .tex file, but
>   also all the .tui, .tuo stuff etc. by default, which is rather
>   inconvenient.

(setq completion-ignored-extensions
  (append completion-ignored-extensions '(".tui" ".tuo")))

> * It has no idea about most of ConTeXt commands, e.g., it tries to
>   insert {} after ConTeXt commands put by C-c C-m.

Don't know about this one, I just type the command (often with the help of
"dabbrev-expand").

> * Unlike when editing LaTeX files, it does not insert an \item when
>   doing C-c C-e itemize.  I use itemizations a lot and this is a bit
>   annoying, especially that I got used to its behaior when doing LaTeX.
>   Also, having C-c C-j asking about the (optional) label all the time is
>   also tiring, I would prefer to be asked for it only with C-u C-c C-j.

This is also annoying to me. I'll try to solve this, should no be too
complicated I think (only problem I have, is no spare time, just like
you...).

> * By default, being in dvi or pdf mode doesn't matter: you always end up
>   with a pdf file.  This is fine when you have a fast computer, but on
>   low-end, older ones (like mine;)) xdvi is *a lot* faster than xpdf.

Start xpdf just once, then use only "xpdf -reload". Besides, there are more
and more issues with dvi, since it's no more supported by ConTeXt (clipping
of figures, protrusion with TTF and perhaps a lot more). So I consider dvi
as obsolete.

Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/