Dnia Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 11:08:20PM +0200, Peter Münster napisał(a):
> On Wed, Oct 22 2008, Marcin Borkowski wrote:
>
> > > What are the problems with emacs?
> >
> > Here is the (unordered) list of what I remember at the moment.
> >
> > * It almost never knows when to launch "View"; it almost always offers
> >   me to "ConTeXt" the file.
>
> Hello Marcin,
>
> Right, this is a bug. I could make a bug report for that issue.
> I haven't done this before, because I don't really need this feature:
> - I open a ConTeXt file
> - then I begin with the View command to open an xpdf window
> - then I only need ConTeXt commands, that refresh automatically the xpdf
>   window (C-c C-c return)

The same I do, but if I work on a few files simultaneously, or just want
to jump into a new file (to check something or so) the current behavior
is a bit inconvenient.

> Customization code for TeX-command-list:
> ("ConTeXt" "context --once --nonstopmode %t; xpdfcheck \"%s\" &&
>  xpdf -remote \"%s\" -reload" TeX-run-TeX nil (context-mode) :help
>  "Run ConTeXt once") ("ConTeXt Full" "context --nonstopmode %t;
>  xpdfcheck \"%s\" && xpdf -remote \"%s\" -reload" TeX-run-TeX nil
>  (context-mode) :help "Run ConTeXt until completion")
>
> This is xpdfcheck.c :
>
> #include <stdio.h>
> #include <X11/Xlib.h>
> int main(int argc, char *argv[])
> {
>       Display *display;
>       Atom remoteAtom;
>       char remoteName[256];
>       if(argc != 2){
>               fprintf(stderr, "Usage: %s <remote-name>\n", argv[0]);
>               return 1;
>       }
>       snprintf(remoteName, sizeof(remoteName), "xpdf_%s", argv[1]);
>       if(!(display = XOpenDisplay(NULL)))
>               return 1;
>       remoteAtom = XInternAtom(display, remoteName, False);
>       return !XGetSelectionOwner(display, remoteAtom);
> }

Wow, thanks!  I'll try it (but not today;))!

> > * (This is probably related to the previous one.)  When finished
> >   compilation, it says "ConTeXt: problems after {1} page." or something
> >   like this.
>
> Indeed, this should be mentioned in the bug report.
>

> > * When finding files, it offers me to find not only the .tex file, but
> >   also all the .tui, .tuo stuff etc. by default, which is rather
> >   inconvenient.
>
> (setq completion-ignored-extensions
>   (append completion-ignored-extensions '(".tui" ".tuo")))

Thanks!  I'll have it added together with .aux;).

Edit: it was there already.  Emacs, I'm scared of you.

> > * It has no idea about most of ConTeXt commands, e.g., it tries to
> >   insert {} after ConTeXt commands put by C-c C-m.
>
> Don't know about this one, I just type the command (often with the help of
> "dabbrev-expand").

Well, in case of LaTeX-mode, it's very useful, since it knows about the
usage of many standard commands and asks for the arguments.

> > * Unlike when editing LaTeX files, it does not insert an \item when
> >   doing C-c C-e itemize.  I use itemizations a lot and this is a bit
> >   annoying, especially that I got used to its behaior when doing LaTeX.
> >   Also, having C-c C-j asking about the (optional) label all the time is
> >   also tiring, I would prefer to be asked for it only with C-u C-c C-j.
>
> This is also annoying to me. I'll try to solve this, should no be too
> complicated I think (only problem I have, is no spare time, just like
> you...).

That would be great, also from the point of view of learning elisp...

> > * By default, being in dvi or pdf mode doesn't matter: you always end up
> >   with a pdf file.  This is fine when you have a fast computer, but on
> >   low-end, older ones (like mine;)) xdvi is *a lot* faster than xpdf.
>
> Start xpdf just once, then use only "xpdf -reload". Besides, there are more
> and more issues with dvi, since it's no more supported by ConTeXt (clipping
> of figures, protrusion with TTF and perhaps a lot more). So I consider dvi
> as obsolete.

I know, but I edit mostly rather simple files (no figures, no non-type1
fonts, no rotation etc...) and then uses xdvi a lot (when using LaTeX).

> Cheers, Peter
>
> --
> http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

Thanks, greets!

PS. I visited your homepage.  Loved the M$ jokes; the essay on viruses
on linux was also *very* interesting.

--
Marcin Borkowski (http://mbork.pl)