On 22/08/2012 10:42, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
On Wed, 22 Aug 2012, Olivier Binda wrote:

Thank you for the tips.

Here, I cleaned up the code some more (sorry to have left stuff over last time),.

I added some explanations to make my issue clearer

\startusableMPgraphic{myFrame}
  draw OverlayBox withpen pencircle scaled 1pt withcolor green;
draw (currentpicture enlarged 2cm) withcolor red withpen pencircle scaled 2pt;
\stopusableMPgraphic

\defineoverlay[myOverlay][\useMPgraphic{myFrame}]
\defineframedtext[myStatement][frame=off]
\setupframedtexts[myStatement][background=myOverlay,offset=overlay,autowidth=force]
\starttext
\framed[strut=no]{\startmyStatement FIRST TEST\stopmyStatement}
In the first test, I would like the black box to have the dimensions of the red box.

\defineframed[myStatement][background=myOverlay, offset=overlay,width=fit]
\dontleavehmode\framed[strut=no, offset=2cm]{\myStatement{FIRST TEST}}
In the first test, I would like the black box to have the dimensions of the red box.

\blank[big,big,big,big,big,big,big,big,big,big]

\placefigure[left,none]{}{\startmyStatement SECOND TEST\stopmyStatement}
In the second test, I'm going to demonstrate the issue by flowing text around the framed text, the green color {\em and the red color} shouldn't touch the flowing text as I want the float box to include the text box {\em and the overlay box.}

\placefigure[left,none]{}{\framed[strut=no,

offset=2cm

Thanks for the help. But I'm affraid that this won't do as I won't know/I am not supposed to know the dimensions of the bounding box of the overlay I'll use.
:/

For the sake of the minimal example, I only enlarged the picture by 2cm, but in real production situations, the bounding box is going to be enlarged by random offset, because the overlay will have various parts with weird shapes (super ellipse, squeezed rectangles) that go beyond the original text boundaries (like in the Zapf frametext example of the Context manual : the title is protruding out of the main box and if you put weird stuff in there, you won't know the dimensions).

I don't want to manually calculate those offsets, I would like metapost to pass it's bounding box dimensions for the overlay to context so that it automatically applies the correct offset to the text+overlay

]{\myStatement{SECOND TEST}}}

If needed, you can hide this behind macros:

\def\startmyStatement
    {\framed[struct=no, offset=2cm]\bgroup\myStatement\bgroup}

\def\stopmyStatement
   {\egroup\egroup}

Aditya
___________________________________________________________________________________ If your question is of interest to others as well, please add an entry to the Wiki!