My simple MWE:

\defineregister[bibcit]
\setupregister[bibcit][%
indicator=no,
before=]

text... \bibcit[a]{Gen 3:6 (MAC) }Gen 3:6....

(and so one for each Genesis reference, then moving on to Leviticus with [b] etc.)

In other words, I have used the key option [] using the alphabet to change the order, with Genesis as [a], Exodus [b], Leviticus [c], and so on.

Problem 1: there are 26 letters in the English alphabet. There are many more biblical books (OT and NT) than 26, so what do I do when I reach z?

Problem 2: the (MAC) would not normally be required in any biblical citation, but in my case it is, as well as (PER), (PRO) and several other references. In other words, these indicate where, in  a set of documents, the particular citations are to be found. But I think they may affect the order of citations, so, for example, I get the following results for the first four books of the Bible:

Gen 3:6 (MAC)            120
Gen 4:2-8 (MAC)         123
Gen 39:6-20 (MAG)     127
Gen 17:1 (PES)           137
Gen 18:27 (PES)         140
Gen 28:10-12 (PES)    141
Ex 20:12 (MAG)          129
Lev 6:5-6 (PES)           136
Deut 6:5 (PES)            145
Lam 3:27 (MAG)          129

Notice that Gen 39:6-20 is out of order in terms of chapters and verses. It should come after Gen 28:10-12 (PES) but I do not know how to control that order. It may be that (MAG), which comes after (MAC) in alphabetical terms, is controlling the order, rather than chapter and verse which I really want to control the order.

I realise this is complicated, but I'm sure ConTeXt is up to it. I've got the basics right for getting at least 26 books in some sort of order, but after that??

Julian