You are correct on both counts; it is not quite random (just not what I was looking foršŸ˜ ) and yes, the abbreviated book title needs to be in the mix as well, just in case it also ends up throwing things out. But, as you can see subsequently, each contribution is making things clearer (for me, not so accustomed to working with Lua code) and I have every confidence we will work this one out. For almost anyone using ConTeXt for preparing a book that includes such an index, and I believe it is normal for biblical citations to be listed according to biblical book order, at least, this is the author's request in my case, the ultimate solution will benefit such people in the future.

Julian