From: Andy Shook [mailto:andy.sh...@peak10.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 6:14 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Managed Services

(Disclaimer: http://www.peak10.com/Managed-Services/default.asp )

Shawn,
My company and job role aside, managed services have a large value proposition
in the right scenario.  I talk to prospects and customers all day long about
managed services.  I'm a straight shooter, if they are not a good fit I tell
them as will my sales guys.  As mentioned, they have a good play for businesses
with no internal IT (better\faster\cheaper) but I will also say the BETTER play
for overall managed services is the way they augment & compliment an internal
IT shop.  Think about it, what could any of you accomplish if you didn't have
to deal with monitoring, patching, AV, backups, hardware, event log review,
security traffic analysis, storage and OS care and feeding?  In other words,
source the mundane junk and have the internal IT person\people move up the
stack to core business functions and applications.  Time slice a managed
services provider's capabilities to keep the lights on and you migrate to a
more strategic role.

What I find intriguing during these discussions are people's definition of
'infrastructure'.  I'm a little more leading edge in my thoughts; I consider
infrastructure to include everything mentioned above as well as, the
hypervisor, email platforms and databases.  What about you?

Every situation is different, I welcome comments and questions on or off list.

Shook