On Sun, 19 Mar 2006, Jim Henry wrote:

> I think the only fair way to treat VOIP is for a provider to prioritize
> their own VOIP packets, not lower the priority of VOIP packets from other
> providers, or worse, block ports that competitors use for the service. That
> way if I own a network I can fairly insure QOS for my VOIP customers and
> give all competitors "best effort" service just like any other data
> traversing the network.
I agree. But the current "Net Neutrality" proponents want to go further
than that. And that's wrong.

As usual, devil is in the details. Nothing wrong with "Net Neutrality"
which means "you shouldn't engage in anti-competitive behavior" (as you
suggested, to intentionally handicap competitor's traffic). Now, whether
such law is even *necessary* is unclear - it is already unlawful as
anti-competitive behavior (see Vonage vs Madison River, which was resolved
in favor of Vonage without any new laws).

-alex