From: Hammond, Robin-David%KB3IEN [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Sunday, March 19, 2006 3:20 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: Dana Spiegel; nycwireless@lists.nycwireless.net; Jim Henry
Subject: Re: [nycwireless] New Yorker Article [was: Multichannel News -AnalystsQuestionBellInvestments]

I realy dont see the need for an ISP to promote one set of voip over another as a matter of course. How does it serve any of the stake holders?

Granted there may be times of crisis when demand is very high, and there is not enough pipe to go around. Any fool can see that priority should be given to emergency calls exchange '999' and 'x11' in these cases. The unwillingness of verizon to allow anyone access to the 911 system results in me having to dial around it most of the time, i often call my local precinct on its 718.xxx.xxxx number...

I would say that non-emergency voip links should be given round-robin priority, such that a user who picks up every minute and hits redial will soon get through regardless of who the voip carrier is, remain network neutral. Granted there may be a higher bandwidth cost of routing some other companies voip packets rather than using your own compressed data streams, some disparity may be in the interests of all.

Ultimately some segment of the market is likely to demand neutrality of providers in the end. But it would be nice to be a consultant in a position to point a client company to an ISP and say, these guys are commited to as level a playing field as servs everyone's interests. EULAs that prohibited use of wireless technology prevented me from recomending verizon or cablevision for example.

What I am truly against is the practice of failing to promote a 'rival' voip packets to provide QOS when QOS will not threaten network capacity. Or worse yet, expressly delaying or mangling the rival voip packets. This subtle sabotage is unlikely to do anyone any good. The average consumer is likely to be driven away from voip, because the issues involved are too complicated to deal with. With less VOIP demand, there will not be the increase in bandwidth demand that might be spured by widespread adoption of voice and subsequently video over IP.

In short network non-neurtrality (network hostility) is an ill-wind that blows no one any good.

By publicly considering making non-neutrality Standard Operating Procedure some large polygopolies are tempting legislation that restricts the way in which all ISPs are able to do buisness. Outside restrictions on the way one does buisness never seem to help. If nothing else: Laissez Faire, laissez aller, laissez passer. By abusing or considering the abuse of a freedom that they have always had large telcos jeopardise that very freedom. Surely this cannot be good for anyone's bottom line?