Under the gospel according to Bidlake, founder of the british system
of time-trialling, all participants received a start sheet in the mail the
week before the event. The start sheet, under a cover headed 'private and
confidential', indicated not only the handicap to be awarded for that event
but also described in detail the exact location of the course, which is
identified in the calendar only by a code letter. Any rider failing to show
up at the appointed time was given a time penalty and anyone failing to show
up at all was expected to write a letter of apology to the timekeeper. While
all of this has absolutely nothing to do with the compution of handicaps for
OBC events, it just goes to show that bureaucracy in cycling has deep roots
and that these are not confind to Ottawa.

Newsletter:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.cyberus.ca/~obcweb/Newsletter