>>Adrian: Any old search will do.  All subjects are prefixed with OODL:
>
>Anthony: The search engine will not search in the subject field -- it ignores
>any text in the subject field when searching. No idea why.

Adrian: Then the subjects will not be linked at this stage (unless
someone else wants to do it).

>>Adrian: But I'd have to download the entire web archive (plus adds and
>>other crap) every time I updated the Log (I can't tell what's new
>>remember).  That's simply not viable.
>
>Nope -- only the index pages, which can be done by date, and are not
>that big. Besides, the old index pages never need re-downloading.

Adrian: This is a better alternative but still not something I want to
do.  I need this system to be completely automatic or it will become too
much work for me to maintain.

>>Adrian: Let me put it this way: if I were to send you an email saying
>>"Anthony, I can't get interpreter to work.  It just gives heaps of
>>errors.  Please fix it."  Would you be able to fix it?  I doubt it.
>
>Anthony: If you gave me a program which looks at the Interpreter sources and
>spits out the line number and file where the error is and even a nice
>error message, yes. The W3C validator does that.

Adrian: I have looked at the pages you gave before and said that the
errors were insignificant and/or wrong.

>Anthony: It does display correctly. However, I don't like HTML errors. And
there
>is no guarantee that it will display correctly on any browser --
>coments about shooting browsers aside.

Adrian: Find me a browser that doesn't display it properly and I'll fix
it.  I simply can't see where a noticable error is going to appear in the
display.  The pages are just so simple.    The only complex thing is the
tables and they're written in perfect HTML code.

>>Adrian: And many of the changes make newer version incompatible with
>>older versions. (The <BR> or <BR></BR> thing for example).
>
>Anthony: The <BR> has never had -- and probably never will have -- a close
tag.
>The <FRAME> tag always has had -- and always has required -- a close
>tag. And so on.

Adrian: The <BR> tag, according to the w3c validator, *must* have a </BR>
tag.  That's why I don't hold that tool in high regard.  The <FRAME> tag
previously did not require a </FRAME> tag, what would you put in there
anyway?

Adrian: My final word on this subject is this: if you don't like the HTML
errors, fix them yourself and send the files to me.  I will incorporate
the changes into my software.  This is the nature of opensource and a
habit we should all get into.