At 2:57 PM +1000 on 1/31/00, Paul Sutton wrote:

>Adrian: Leader: a guiding or leading head, as of army movement, etc.  I
>honestly don't think we have one of those, we have many people who
>alternate in different situations.  Most people have found a role for
>themselves in the group though.  We have encouragers, work horses,
>advisers, "silence breakers" who step in when things seem to have come to
>a standstill and get things moving again, lurkers, and many more.  Plus,
>many combinations of the above.

Fair enough.

>Adrian: Messages simply won't be linked, but threads will be able to, I'd
>image it's just a CGI with the thread name being passed in somehow.  I'll
>see, but later.

Unfortunately, the search does not seem to search subjects. Maybe I can
manage to prod the people at mail-archive.com into adding a few
features.

>>Anthony: If oyu wanted to automate the process, you'd have to grep the mail
>>archive webpages.
>
>Adrian: No.  This is not a viable way of doing it.

It might be -- you could just download them with a web browser. You
wouldn't actually have to be on line at the time.

So many it does not load correctly. But <http://www.w3.org/>, the home
page of the W3C is fine (except that iCab does not know XHTML, so it
does not smile). Also, <http://validator.w3.org> is fine, too. And so
are its results. No idea where you got the idea that those pages do not
validate.

And just because most people don't follow the standard does not mean
that we should not. Standards are for a reason -- to make sure the same
page works anywhere. And I've seen a lot of pages that don't, because
of the errors. Besides, writing standard HTML is not that hard :)