At 2:28 AM +0100 on 2/19/00, M. Uli Kusterer wrote:
>>Maybe we could require that if you make any changes and use the special
>>exception, you must submit the changes back to the FreeCard group? Did
>>you ask RMS about this?
>
>Anthony,
>
> If they have to submit changes, they won't be able to go on developing it,
>except maybe for a few additions to the editing environment itself. They
>wouldn't be able to add to the engine. Good idea.

Well, they can go on adding to the the engine as much as they want. But
we get all the changes -- so we won't have $BIG_COMPANY and $PHB taking
over FreeCard and making it proprietary, and throwing enough resources
into it to leave us in the dust.

> This would only cause problems with people desiring to add closed
>technologies to the engine, and if they do that and don't want to release
>an XCMD or send us sources and a lib, they're probably not going to support
>free software anyhow. I'll throw it into the discussion.

They could still add a plugin/xcmd/whatever-we-call-it. We shouldn't
have people making the engine proprietary.