At 3:25 PM -0800 on 2/18/00, Alain Farmer wrote:

>Alain: Are you still experiencing problems with our
>web site? I visited it a few minutes ago. Everything
>works like a charm.

Yes.

>Anthony: I got to the Interpreter pages, then clicked
>the two links there and got this in NS's JS log: ...
>Page is not defined ... I imagine this is the
>JavaScript version of a 404.
>
>Alain: My hypothesis is that this is because your
>browser/machine is not rendering the page in the
>middle-frame fast enough. The bottom-frame calls a
>function that it expects to find in the middle-frame,
>but it is not there yet. It is unsightly but it does
>not affect the process. Your case is the first
>exception (perhaps).

Well, today I can't even get to the interpreter page. Same error:

JavaScript Error: http://giguere.dsc.uqam.ca/FreeCard/FC.cgi:

Page is not defined.

>Alain: Is your javascript enabled ?

Yes. And this is NetScape Navigator, v. 4.08.

BTW: I'll consider making my own. Definitely will make my own NuParser
& Interpreter pages.

>Anthony: BTW: There are some NuParser snapshots ...
>
>Alain: More PNG files? Dragging and dropping a PNG on
>Netscape, or anything else for that matter, does not
>work for me. What application is required to view a
>PNG file?

I think I gave gif's and jpeg's, but drag them on to GraphicsConverter.

>Anthony: Alain, remember that the Interpreter's speed
>is solely responsible for the speed of ALL scripts
>run.
>
>Alain: I am well-aware of that, Anthony. For speed
>though you can't beat assembly language,

If there is a big enough bottleneck, I will do parts of Interpreter in
assembly. But compilers are pretty good these days -- especially on
RISC machines.

>Anthony: Every millisecond saved counts.
>
>Alain: In my view, we should put more accent on
>rigorous and readable code in our DEVELOPMENT phase,
>then make optimized off-shoots at press time. The slow
>down in performance will be more than compensated by
>the ease with which we will be able to adapt our code
>base and/or to get more programmers to join in.

Most of the code -- even most of the interpreter code -- will be very
understandable. There are but a few parts (e.g., the NullCPU emulator)
that must run as fast as possible. Those parts will be well-documented,
commented, and isolated. It should be undertstandable, or ignorable by
those who wish not to deal with it.